I was born here and at the end of last year I purchased my first house here, so there must be a few reasons why I decided to stay. Here are my top ten:
- My community always gives back, even when times are tough. I serve on numerous boards within my community and have volunteered for a number of different organizations since high school and I have never seen so much raw thoughtfulness in any community as I have here in Cayuga County.
- We thrive on reviving downtown and nightlife entertainment. Our community cares and works hard at bringing back small businesses and downtown life so that there are events and places to go at night.
- The food. For being a relatively small community, we have some of the best food in the state. It definitely helps that we are part of the Finger Lakes Region.
- We care about the theater. Merry-Go-Round Playhouse, Auburn Public Theater, and Theater Mack… must I say more?
- My community supports the endeavors of young professionals, entrepreneurs, small businesses, benefits for troubled families and non-profits. They stand behind the other individuals in their community and support them through the ups and downs.
- It is home of some pronounced historic landmarks. Willard Chapel, Harriet Tubman, Seward House and Case Mansion being the most well-known.
- Our community cares about art. We have the Schweinfurth Art Gallery and the Finger Lakes Art Cooperative where a mix of students and professional artists can showcase their talent. At the Art Cooperative you can even purchase the pieces you like.
- The Drive-In. My community still has a drive-in movie theatre, which I went to and saw Despicable Me 2 at last year. The line to get in was over 1 mile long. The theatre had to open their expansion lot and still turn away over 100 cars. Seems like a good turn out to me.
- We support our high school sports teams. I have never seen a community come together to support a sports team like our community does. When our high school football team won the State Championship back in 2006, over 20,000 people from our county came to support the team at the Dome! This year when the Auburn Ice Hawks won the Sectional Championship, they made it to the playoff games for the quarter-finals for States. Again, thousands of individuals from the community made the 2 hour drive to Utica to support the team!
- Sense of family. I love my community because the people you meet here become your family. Cayuga County is a great place to have children and raise a family. I enjoyed growing up here and having the opportunity to receive a limitless education with all my teachers supporting my numerous projects and ever-changing ideas. I want to be able to give my children the same opportunity that I had.
Sooner than later,
The Tiny Professional